Monday, November 3, 2014

November 11, 2014

Thanksgiving (11/20/14)

This was probably the most challenging lesson for me to plan. When Mrs. Rigby asked me to do a dance lesson plan based around Thanksgiving I was unsure of where to begin or how to incorporate dance into the subject.

Warm Up:
After looking around online, I found an idea for a warm up that worked well. Instead of using the words for If You Are Happy And You Know It, I used the same song but then replaced the word “happy” with “thankful.” This fun little shift in words let me use that same phrase but then add in dancing phrases such as, “If you are happy and you know it dance down low.”

Activity #1:
For most of the lesson, after the warm up, I used a book I had found about Thanksgiving. Before I taught the lesson, I read through it and found some of the dancing words within it—words like “strong,” “gather,” “waves.” As I read through the book I pointed out these words and asked the students how they could implement those words in their bodies. They came up with some great ideas!

Conclusion:

I had no idea how to make a dance lesson about Thanksgiving but it worked and was beneficial and fun for the students!  

No comments:

Post a Comment